Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Tuesday, September 2, 2008
On the road to Kabala


As I write this, Adrienne, Balalie and I are on the road to Kabala. If you are reading this, it means we were able to upload this file to our blog at an internet café in Makeni, which is about 3 hours outside of Kabala. We heard that the internet in Kabala is down, so we are not sure when we will be able to provide another update or pictures. We might have to make another trip to Makeni next time we want to use email.
Although not without a few hiccups here and there (somehow our flight reservation was deleted), traveling went very well. We arrived safely in Kabala with all of our 8 pieces of checked luggage (all weighing just under the allowed 70 lbs.). Balalie and co. were extremely helpful at the airport, and that quality has not tailed off since.
After a ferry ride, we arrived at Jay’s guest house for the night.
One highlight yesterday was buying bikes in Freetown. They are pretty good bikes (matching red in color, much to A-Lo’s chagrin), but they were actually quite pricey (70$ each approx). I guess the used bike market in Freetown is definitely a seller’s one. At any rate, we were off to Kabala, but before we got out of Freetown (thankfully this did not happen later), Balalie noticed that the “motor car done broke.” Long story short, we made what ended up being a 3 hour journey back to Jay’s for another night.
We are looking forward to meeting everyone and seeing our workplaces in Kabala for the first time! Freetown was extremely interesting (an “eyefull” for sure), but it was also very noisy, smoggy, and somehow tiring. (On a side note, it is interesting that we got tired so quick because it seemed like people were constantly doing things for us – unpacking and packing vehicles, for example – I’m blaming it on the jet lag as opposed to wimpyness).
How are we feeling? Currently really good, but please stand by. Our emotions have been changing almost as much as the weather, which is often. Examples – Adrienne (typically) got 3 huge mosquito bites on her face almost immediately, which didn’t put here in the balmiest of moods. I woke up this morning feeling sick already, and I thought it was because I wasn’t being diligent enough with our hand sanitizer. Luckily, I’m feeling good now, so I’m assuming it’s nothing.
Overall, we are feeling a combination of feeling nervous and being out of our element, but also excitement to have started this journey together. If Balalie is an indication of the hospitality that we will receive, I think we can look forward to an awesome year.

Thank you so much for all your thoughts and prayers. We truly felt supported in every sense of the word in the weeks, months, and days before we left.
Missing you all already,

Love,
Joe and Adrienne.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mom and I are reading this together, so glad to hear you arrived safe.... keep enjoying the adventure and use mosquito repellent! We love and miss you both,
Mom and Jeanette

Anton and Jacqueline said...

Hey dudes! I've been checking this periodically and I'm glad to see you are there safely. I hope you are at your new little home now and you are feeling healthy and able to relax for a few minutes. Love you!
Jacqueline

Anonymous said...

Yeah, you made it. Enjoy the adventure. We love you too.
The williams Family

Anonymous said...

Hey A&J--so glad to hear you arrived safe and sound. Not that we were ready to push a panic button or anything but the two Grandma's frequent phone calls to find out if we had "heard anything" was starting to rattle me. I'm sitting outside with Grandma B reading Joe's Blog--such a hoot to hear about the three mosquito bites on your face Adrienne--can just imagine your reaction that first morning.
So proud of you,
Love hugs and kisses,
M&D Loewen

Anonymous said...

Like everyone else, I am glad to hear that you've arrived safe and sound. It sounds like you are having adventures already. Love you lots and miss you too.
Keep us posted.
Kari

Anonymous said...

Yeah a blog post (you nerds:)) for us to read and hear you arrived safely! Adrienne by any chance are the red bicycles a tandem like we rode in Washington? If not you totally got ripped off! Cannot wait to hear how things are going once you arrive and by the sounds of it you have been bouncing around lots trying to get "home"! Miss you lots.

Matt & Jenny Dry

Stephanie said...

Great to hear you guys made it safely! Can't wait to hear about more of your adventures :)

Anonymous said...

I wasn't worried about your flights, I knew you'd make it safe! Those B.A. boyz are pretty good. They just talk a little funny on the radio. I was more worried about the part after touch down...

" For England, for Home and for the prize!"

Capt. Jack Aubrey R.N.

Anonymous said...

Joe & Adrienne,
So glad to hear you have arrived with all your many pieces of heavy bags. I can just imagine the weariness as you take in the sights, sounds and scents. I noticed a difference in my response between the first and second time I was in Uganda. I was not as overwhelmed the second time as it was familiar and I was looking at it all with delight. I hear from my Ugandan friend here that her sister just left Freetown. If she is there again how could she connect with you? I don't know when or if she will be but just in case.... God does move in mysterious ways. I stayed with her the two times I was in Uganda. I sprayed my clothes that I wore at dusk in permethrin. Some people washed their clothes in it to help repel the mosquitoes. Bless you both as you adjust. I forgot to tell you about no jetlag pills but maybe you knew that already. I found they helped a lot. Wendy

beim said...

Hey guys, so glad to read that you made it. Sorry about the mosquito bites! Already missing you in the hallways at school this week Joe. I won't let you down thought--I will keep the staff hockey pool going in your absences and will make sure I load your team with quality players.

Anonymous said...

Guys, we miss you already. School has started off really well. The boys volleyball team misses you Joe, Dan Herman says he misses Adrienne.
Comrie's first day of school consisted of telling us he felt sick...we didn't believe him, 20 minutes into class he puked all over his desk. We are great parents eh?

Miss talking golf. Will keep you in the loop.

Sean Engbers

Dane said...

miss you guys...Joe, I am watching your mints while you are away!

Anonymous said...

Hey there, Glad to hear that you got there safely and we hope and pray that you adjust well and quickly. Looking forward to hearing about your adventures!
Love from Auntie Margie and Uncle Luke.