Friday, October 10, 2008

How de body!

October 10, 2008

 

 

Having been here for almost 6 weeks now, it is nice to look over our time here and see so much progression.  It’s hard to measure exactly how we feel about our year here compared to the beginning except that we just feel much better.  We aren’t really sure what has changed, so it’s hard to say exactly why we are feeling so much better about things.  We still face the same day-to-day challenges, but they just don’t seem as vast and overwhelming as they used to – in fact we’re more motivated to tackle them, if that doesn’t sound to cheesy.  We have asked ourselves why we struggled for the first couple of weeks and we almost feel embarrassed because we actually have a very good situation here. I think maybe it’s that culture shock actually does exist, and it takes time to see the big picture and get used to life in a different part of the world.  Also, even though we had both spent some time in developing countries, the reality is that both of us really hadn’t done much traveling (as far as living abroad long-term), and there is just no way to prepare your mind for living in a different culture without actually doing it. 

Also, some of our original challenges such as food and language are getting much better.  We are having fun learning Krio small small, and even learning a little Kuronko (Adrienne knows much more Kuronko compared to me, however).  Food-wise, we are experiencing a combination of enjoying African food more and finding more and more ways to eat meals that we enjoy.

The fact that we are here for a year is something we are now quite thankful for.  If we were going home in a couple of months from now, we feel like we wouldn’t really have much opportunity to accomplish our work and traveling goals.  Also, we would end up leaving immediately after we would get to know people.

We are often amazed at how resourceful people here are.  On Wednesday we had all the expats over to our place for dinner.  I was driving them home in a CES truck, when it suddenly turned and drove into the ditch.  I couldn’t believe how easily I lost control, but soon realized that since I was going slow and the road was flat and unslippery something weird must have happened.   Turns out a road which connects one of the tires to the steering wheel broke (I think a bolt just fell out), which caused the tires to turn on its own.  Anyways, it’s too bad that I don’t have pictures, but long story short, luckily no one was hurt was hurt because it was around 9 PM and there were no pedestrians on the side of the road.  We ended up pulling the truck out with another one, and there was no damage.  Once it was out, we (by “we” I mean the 15 or so locals who showed up to help), tied what was essentially a large rubber band to the truck in place of where the bolt should have been, and were able to drive it away.

Other than trucks in the ditch, things are going pretty well as of late.  We are really anxious to do some traveling around the country and nearby villages …not because we want to get out of Kabala but because we really want to see more of the country. 

One issue that we are trying to sort through is people asking for money.  Almost every day we get someone like a guard, a friend, or even people we don’t know or just met asking for money for everything from a new house to new shoes.  It is challenging sorting out when to give and when to say no.  We are trying to err on the side of generosity, but it always is hard saying no when just a little bit makes such a large difference.

We hope that you all are doing great, and we miss you lots,

 

 Love, Joe and Adrienne


ps. We promise no more boring entries with regards to how we are feeling.  From now on, only interesting or funny stories, or more specific prayer requests.  -  And of course pictures.  Bye for now!

 

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Hey, Joe and Adrienne,
I'm enjoying your blog, but I keep waiting to see an entry by YOUR pet turtle! So far...nothing. Very disappointing! (grin)
Thanks for sharing your hearts in this post. To be honest, while I love the great pics and the stories, heart is what makes it all real to me. We - your readers - know that every day isn't a picnic, so it's okay to say it. We know that there are dreams involved in being in a differet culture for a year (oh how we know on a personal level!) that need to be modified and reshaped. Don't stop sharing heart, okay? But the other stuff is really good, too!
May God bless you through others and others through you.
Jennifer and Ed
(You can find us at peaceledge.blogspot.com if you're interested in visiting.)

Anonymous said...

My dear and lovely Adrienne!!

(and big hi to Joe too - but this message is mostly for your wife)

It has been so fun to read all about your 6 weeks so far! And even though I only see you every 6 or 8 months when you live as close as White Rock, I miss you! I'm sure it's partly psychological, because now you're so inaccessible to me, but regardless, I think about you so often and wish you were just that 45 minute drive away! Last week I was working a night shift and chatting with a girl I had never met before, who had floated for that shift from the surgical unit, and we got to talking as the night settled down, and somehow got around to the subject of her husband and his big family and his Christian high school... and turns out she knows you!! Her name is Tori and apparently your husband introduced her to HER husband! It was so perfectly timed because I had just been thinking about you, and realizing that you'd been gone for ages and I still hadn't gotten around to hunting down your blog (admittedly I've never used one and was a bit intimidated by them) and so she showed me how to find it and we looked through your pictures!

Anyway, nothing is really all that new with me ... just finishing up my last shift on a sleepy Thanksgiving weekend (actually it hardly feels like working, I have a preceptor student now who's far enough along in her shifts that she's taking all of my patients and leaving me very little to do!) I go on a little eight day vacation starting this Friday, celebrating Baz's birthday and, God-willing, his visa extension (we still haven't heard the final word yet). Friends from home are popping out babies and getting engaged regularly enough to keep me in Abbotsford a good portion of the time. But no engagement here yet! i'll let you know! Hopefully by phone if you have a number where I can reach you??

I'm so proud of you! You're amazing, and I was very impressed by your medication and supply organization! You make me very grateful for a 'multi-disciplinary team'!! (ie. porters and housekeepers!!)

Anyway, Happy Thanksgiving! I miss you and love you!!

xx Lindsey

Anonymous said...

Hey guys,

The pictures are great. How did you not get lost when you were in the high brush making a trail. Now you know what the British felt like when there were making the death railway in Thailand! Hope your well and praying for you two.