Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Kabala School for the Blind

A number of weeks ago, I was beginning to look for a way that CRC Primary could be involved in some sort of community service. I decided to visit the Kabala School for the Blind after JT (the headmaster) and the visiting pastors made a trip up there (I say “up” because the school is located at the top of the hill). They had mentioned that the school was operating under a series of constraints, and JT had reiterated the deplorable living conditions that they witnessed.

First of all, I should give a brief history of the school. It was established in 1986, and in 1989 became a partially funded government school. The school started with 10 or so students, and grew to around 30 or so at one point. All the students live on the school grounds as well as go to school. The primary students go to school at the same location, and the secondary students walk (with a guide) to one of the 3 local secondary schools in town. Along with the help of NGOs in the community, it was doing OK in a permanent location 3 miles out of town – the school was receiving three meals per day, was growing, and had a good music and crafts program.
The school has never been the same since the rebels attacked it in July, 1998. Their structure was destroyed, and for 7 years they were moving from place to place with no government support. Finally in 2005 they were allowed to stay in their current location, which is horrible but at least it gave them some stability.
For the last year, the school has received hardly any government funding and is desperate. Local community stakeholders, as well as the NGO that Adrienne works for, CITA, has been the school’s only sources for daily needs like food. But even with CITA’s help the school is currently only getting 1 or 2 meals per day.

So one day I drove up there myself to visit the school for the first time with the intention of simply meeting the headmaster and introducing myself. Since then, I have visited the school a number of times with other people, and every visitor has the same reaction: a compelling need to help them somehow. The reasons for this are numerous. First of all, they really are living in terrible conditions. Their building (which they are only allowed to stay in temporarily) is old and damaged with many problems such as huge windows without glass and things other similar problems. They don’t have a well, so during the dry season they have to haul water up the hill every day – an extremely demanding feat for anyone, let alone someone who is not able to see. Also, they have next to no materials for their school, including no musical instruments or craft supplies. The other main need is accommodation help such as beds, mattresses, clothes, etc., as they are sleeping 3 to a “bed” in many cases right now. The second and even stronger reason that one feels the urge to help is the wonderfully endearing character that these students and teachers show. They are very warm and welcoming, and they treat each other like family – even poking fun at each other.

While I was visiting there for the first time, I knew this was a great opportunity for CRC Primary to bless the community in a profound way, and I decided to visit the school more regularly, so I told them I would come a few days later with Adrienne. On that visit, I mentioned that I would come the next week with my 29 class 4 students and 4 visitors from Canada, and on that visit I mentioned I would come the next week with Adrienne’s parents. With each visit, I could feel their confidence in me growing. When I visited the 5th or 6th time with a couple of workers from CAUSE, their confidence had turned into full-fledged hope that I was their Saviour. I felt a lot of pressure, because all I had done was visit, and although I want to help them, I hadn’t told them I would because I don’t really know how. Adrienne reminded me that they put their hope in me not because I had given them grand promises but because their situation is hopeless. When I say I am going to come back and I do, they almost have no choice but to put their hope in me.
Having said that, I do want to find out how that school’s situation can improve, and I’ve spent a lot of time researching the school, and trying to find out the best way to move forward in terms of relieving some of their constraints.

One thing I am really excited about is that a partnership is developing between the Kabala School for the Blind and CRC Primary School. JT and the teachers are excited about helping that school out, because all the teachers are aware of their constraints. So far we have just been brainstorming ways to help, and JT had the idea of the students at CRC going without food periodically throughout the year (one day per month or so) and donating that ½ bag of rice to the School for the Blind. We were discussing putting a name on that day where we go without food – I suggested “thanksgiving day,” or “neighbor day,” or “blessing day.” JT suggested “blind day.” We settled on brainstorming a little more for the name of that day.

As I talk to more and more people about the school, I have become increasingly touched by how people in the community really want to help the school, and in fact the only reason it has survived the last number of years is because people in the community have made contributions. At the same time, I have become progressively more frustrated that the government money, for whatever reason, hasn’t come in consistently. I have heard that schools for the blind across the country are experiencing the same funding problems.

So far, I am just in the researching and learning phase. I have a meeting tomorrow with JT and the School for the Blind’s School Management Committee Chairperson (named Mohummed Alie!), so I am hoping to hearing his thoughts on how the school can move forward most effectively. Adrienne and I would welcome your prayers on this issue. Thank you so much and we will keep you posted.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the update on the school for the blind. Since visited them, they have been in my prayers. I will continue to pray for a vision and a plan for them. Also.. if there is a way I can help... let me know.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Joe, for sharing about the school for the blind. God is "stretching" you both in so many ways there, in seeing huge needs not easily met. Will pray that as He fills your hearts with His compassion and love, He will show you ways He would have you move in, to be a channel of HIS love and provision in the midst of so much hurting.

DABA